Welcome To This New Chapter Freshie!!!

                     Another milestone has come to my life. This is my first day in college at the Philippine Normal University in Manila Campus. As a freshman, I'm nervous about what might happen. I basically don't know anyone at PNU, so when I woke up this morning, I convinced myself that on my first day today that it will be good for me to become an introvert and just observe who and what are my classmates are.



                      As I go into our class for my first subject, I was amazed by the first professor that I’ve met. He looks like an intelligent and wise. Well, about my classmates I can sense the aura of how competitive they are, as well as how tensed my environment is. Some of my classmates look very proud, some are nervous and some are tensed and look like an introvert. All I can say is that I'm intimidated and I feel small with these individuals. I think that I might bring my shyness back. But in the middle of my day at PNU, I've met my professor in 'Understanding Self' subject, and she gave us an activity that broke the tensed atmosphere in our classroom. She called it “getting to know you and getting to know me activity”.
          It became my norm every time the school year starts to introduce myself in front of my new classmates and teachers. It became part of my tradition every school year to simply stand in front, tell my name, then after everything, I will go back to my seat. But today is different. My professor instructs us to have a whole sheet of paper and list down my classmates' names and remember them as much as possible. But the twist is here, we need to have a small talk for each person that we want to list in our paper. We should consider the commonalities that we have, then after that, we will present the list of names with the commonalities we shared on in the class. Mrs. Awee (my professor in this subject), announces that she will give us a reward whoever win this activity. All of us are motivated, knowing that this is our first activity and there's a catch for the one who wins. As I observed during the activity, all of us are determined and deeply focused on getting a lot of names in our paper. So what I've done? I just go with the flow, trying my best to talk to a lot of unknown people to me and listing their names immediately on my paper.






                  For the first time, I had the chance to at least have small talks to my classmates. I've found people that have the same interests as me. I was able to get to know my classmates as well as myself. I discover other things that I like, which I am not aware of and I realized that I easily get in touch with the people that have the same interests as me. I actually enjoyed this activity specially when I had a chance to chitchat with some of my classmates who have the same likes as me.
                    By the end of the discussion, I comprehend that I need to do a lot of adjustments and I can't do everything here alone, so I should be starting in making some friends out of them. In addition, during our discussion, I also learned a valuable concept. It is when my professor asked us " Paano mo masusulit ang baon mo sa isang araw na ibinibigay ng parents mo or ng guardian mo?", then one of my classmates said that "by being productive po ". At first, I am confused, does that the exact answer? So I’ve got short anxiety about that. Then at the end of the day, before I sleep, I came up to my own answer that I should always remember the reason why I am at the Philippine Normal University, to learn and do my best and not get intimidated to my environment and make every performance tasks, outputs, participation and tests worth it, because all of this is for my family and future students. Today I have something to look forward to. I feel the excitement about the activities that this professor prepared for us in our future meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment